Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Bittersweet End

When I first heard we had to create a blog this semester I was pretty excited. Creating a blog in class was a first for me, although I have made a blog in the past about my personal life. What made this class assignment even more exciting is that the topic of the blog was our choice. At first, I was overwhelmed by trying to find the perfect topic for my blog. I was looking for a topic that would be keep me intrigued and inspired throughout the semester. Right away I thought of two potential topics that would fit criminal justice and cooking. I have always loved cooking as a hobby. I enjoy making classic dishes to trying exotic dishes. My idea for my blog based on the cooking topic, would have been to post a different dish in each blog post. My other idea was to focus on criminal justice in my blog. I would focus on a certain part of criminal justice in my blog since criminal justice is such a large topic. Some topics I was considering was serial killers, female serial killers, child killers, and prisons. In the end, I decided to pick criminal justice focusing on female serial killers.  

Why female serial killers?

Ultimately I picked female serial killers because It was a topic that I had brushed on, but was yearning to learn more about. What really got me interested in female serial killers or female killers in general was the show "Deadly Women". This show focused on telling the stories of women that murdered. I enjoyed it so much because most murder based shows are about males. The show really changed my perspective on females and made me realize that I was yet another person in society that under estimated females. I wanted to not only educate society about female killers, but even educate myself.

The End to This Blog?

As of now, I'm not in any rush to continue writing in this blog weekly. I would like to reflect on what I have learned over the semester and visit back. It would be interesting to see how my writing style will have changed and to see my blog views. I'm curious to see if people will continue to visit my blog. In the next couple months I would actually like to start a food blog. The sole purpose of the blog would be for personal use. It would be a great way for me to store all my recipes electronically. If I did have people viewing or commenting I wouldn't mind. I would actually be quite surprised since my goal isn't to reach out to a community of people.

My Thoughts on Blogging

I believe blogging is an electronic journal that is made public. It's a great way to express your thoughts to whomever stumbles upon your blog. Unlike a traditional journal though you can add media to your entries. For example, hyper linking and videos can be used in your blog. Adding touches like media, color, and organization to your blog will draw the readers in. Whether your writing for yourself or for an entire community it still will make an impact on at least one person. Even if that person is just yourself or maybe someone you inspired that you will never meet.You will never know the impact until you make the commitment to a create a blog and continue it.










1 comment:

  1. Excellent posts here. And you touch on an aspect of the blog that I think we forget: you can come back to this space (if you don't delete the blog) and review your writing and compare what you did here to your writing a few years from now. Now *that* would make interesting reading (especially to an English professor).

    I'm glad this semester went well for you! You chose a more difficult topic, it seems, and you ran with it. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete