Monday, January 21, 2013

Introduction to my Blog Topic: Women Serial Killers

After much thought and consideration I decided the topic for my blog will be about American women serial killers. I have been intrigued by serial killers for quite some time now, and I catch myself yearning to learn more about them. Having said that, this blog would be an excellent way to record more research and be one step closer to understanding serial killers. When you hear the words "serial killer" most people imagine a male right away. Which is why I'm not only blogging about serial killers, but specifically women serial killers. I believe society really down plays women serial killers because there rare. Most people assume all women are compassionate and wouldn't commit murder ever. Perhaps for most this blog will be a rude awakening to the chilling statistic that is, over fifteen percent of known serial killers have been women. A recent study found that women serial killers killing careers last much longer than the men. The women killing careers ranged between eight and eleven years and men being only two years, with an average of nine victims. The reason for the huge difference in killing careers is that the females tend to operate under the radar. Most of the women didn't have any prior criminal history, killed those closest to them, and most importantly used quieter methods of elimination (Johnston, 1). The most common method of elimination among the women was to poison their victim. In the end the only reason men serial killers were getting more media attention was simply because their murders were much more vicious acts. As a result, I hope I can convince my readers that women serial killers are in fact out there, and more dangerous than male serial killers. Word to the wise "Don't underestimate a dangerous woman. And don't judge by appearances; evil can be pleasant and pretty on the outside. Just like poisoned candy" (Johnston, 1).

1 comment:

  1. You have some interesting data right away in post 1. I like how you narrow your focus to have this blog fill a gap: I don't know if there is anyone else in the blogosphere specifically focusing on female serial killers. So you have two angles with which to work from: serial killers, of course, and women killers.

    I wonder why you find 15% to be a chilling number. That still means the vast majority of SKs are men, right? And are women more dangerous? Are their murders ones of loved ones or strangers? Who is really at risk? You'd have to look at gross numbers and FBI analysis, I think.

    You mention Johnston, but you didn't add a works cited to work with the text citation...

    ReplyDelete